Sunday, 2 December 2007

Knitting Under Siege

I'm still under siege from the storm today; the sea and sky are angry, and Dog made a dash back home after the shortest possible walk. So of course, there has been much more tea, and a chance for crafty things. I was going to take Elephant out for an adventure. (More on the elephantine adventures that are going on all over the place at the moment at their source; Ysolda.) But even she doesn't want to go outside today, and has been getting into knitting instead. And erm yes, Elephant turned out to be a she when I'd finished her - she hopes that Elijah won't take any offence from the inference from his pattern!



The project in question came about as a result of some desperate thinking about what I could knit Dad for Christmas. He's probably got enought scarves and woolly hats without me adding to the pile, and frankly I didn't think I'd have time to make any socks. Although I usually seem to find myself with ideas rather above my ability, this time I have learned my lesson from previous frustrations (I am not a stranger to throwing the thing across the room!), and decided not to knit sock to a time limit. Instead I have plumped for the tea-related option. Not being one for the tea pot, (Dad is a mug man, often whisking it away, tea-full, to the chilly workshop), I thought instead of the MugCosy. I'm not sure if such things already exist; I'm sure they must do, at least for everyone who doesn't have a vacuum-flasky mug on standby. But anyway, what a good way to use up some of the random yarn heap that's occupying a sizeable corner of the spare room. I'm making it up as I go along, and this is what it looks like so far, and I've even managed my first ever buttonhole, and yarn over, of which I am (not so secretly now I'm telling you) quite proud! Oh maybe that's not strictly true, there was a YO in the cast-on for Elephant, but although I did get that to work after a few tries, I'm not entirely sure how I managed it, or even if it was true to the pattern.


I'm knitting it as a flat piece, and intending to sew it together at the end, leaving a hole, but including a flap with buttonhole so that it can be connected again through the middle of the handle. I'm also knitting the main piece in 2x2 ribbing so that it should be stretchy enough for several mug sizes, or at least it should fit all the ones I can find in my cupboard! I also want to give it a base for extra cosiness, and so to the next quandry to fathom.... I'll have to let you know how it turns out. I might need lots more tea.



And more chocolate spread - a very sad sight the empty jar was this morning. Half a slice only; I had to make it up with marmalade. Chocolate orange anyone?

No comments: