Thursday, 3 January 2008

A Crafty New Year

Happy New Year to All! The bustle of all the celebrations has finally died down; everyone I know has kicked off the last vestiges of family stress/flu/vomiting bug/whatever else has been plaguing them, and I feel like we're all ready to start this whole new year. And because fluey-party-non-attendees have left me with food aplenty leftover, what better way to begin than by having all the neighbours over to drink gin and tonic and help me eat an enormous christmas pudding?The last couple of days have seemed rather subdued after the seasonal shenanigans, which has been good as I've been able to get round to a few jobs that have been waiting for a while. No sooner were the last of the christmas cards made and sent out....


...than I realised I was going to need some thank you cards to follow them. Arghhh. Ensuing chaos today with poster paints and potatoes in the production of some rather less sophisticated SpudPrints. OK so they're not high art. Now I realise why kids paintings look like they do - it's really difficult to get a good print from a potato! But they do have a certain charm. Hmmm, SpudPrint.


I was rather more pleased with the Fimo! I didn't even know you could still buy it; not having been tempted by mini-modelling since the last lot of hideous animal earrings I shudder to remember I made aged about 12. I was given a few blocks for my birthday last year but they had languished in a drawer until yesterday when, having bought some more for a friend of mine, I thought I should really have a go myself. The bright primary colours are far from what I would generally choose myself, and I did stare at the blocks for a while before I could think of anything to do with the stuff. The packets helpfully suggested napkin rings (for my many many erm, napkins? As if), jewellery (not really me either, plus visions of the teenage Fimo versions), and a dolls tea set (Just No). So, what!? Probably someone out there has some great ideas of nice things to make with the stuff? In the end I made a load of beads to use as light pulls, which actually I am very pleased with and are cheering up little corners of the bathroom no end!


There's still loads of it left, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it!

3 comments:

Deedee said...

Maybe some hair clips, Keren?

Keren said...

Hair clips eh? Interesting! Might make some nice prezzies. I've seen some lovely Fimo stitch markers on Etsy which I though would be a great idea too, although I have no clue where to get/ how to make the base upon which to hang Fimo thingies. A bit of research needed methinks!

dancin_puffin said...

Love the Christmas cards! Fimo - I remember that and like you didn't even know they still sold it. Good idea with the beads. Stitch markers would be good - am sure you could get the bits from a bead shop as I think the main bits will essentially be the same as you need for jewellery.